Applications, Licenses and Permits

Below is a list of applications, licenses and permits available from the Town of Englehart

You can apply for birth, death and marriage certificates through Service Ontario.

For information on building permits, please visit the Temiskaming Municipal Services Association website.  

Building permits can be found on the TMSA website along with the Chief Building Officer's contact information. Should you have any questions please contact the Municipal Office at 705-544-2244 or the TMSA at 705-563-2426. 

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) is responsible for administering the lottery licensing program in the province – municipalities are partners with the AGCO in issuing lottery licenses to eligible charitable and religious organizations.

What is a Lottery?

A lottery is defined as "any time consideration is paid for a chance to win a prize" where consideration (cash) is paid for a chance (ticket/card) to win a prize. Examples include: raffle tickets, bingo games and break open tickets.

All lotteries require a license either issued by a Municipality or by the Province of Ontario.

Who can obtain a lottery license?

Licenses can only be issued to charitable or non-profit charitable organizations as defined by the Gaming Control Commission. The Courts have determined that "charitable" refers to organizations which provide programs for the relief of poverty; the advancement of education; the advancement of religion; other charitable purposes beneficial to the community.

Proceeds from lotteries must be used for a charitable or religions objects or purpose in the Province of Ontario.

How does an organization obtain a license?

Applications, terms and conditions, and municipal requirements may be picked up at the Englehart Municipal Office during business hours or from the AGCO website.

The following pre-requisites are mandatory to be considered eligible for a lottery license:

  • Organization must have been in existence for at least one (1) year before being considered eligible for lottery licenses; and
  • The organization must have a place of business in Ontario, demonstrate that it is established to provide charitable services in Ontario and use proceeds for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents

Raffle Lottery

For raffle lotteries, the license fee is 3% of the total retail value of prizes.

Bingo Lottery

For bingo lotteries, the license fee is 3% of the total retail value of prizes.

Break Open Ticket Lottery

For break open ticket lotteries, the license fee is 3% of the total retail value of prizes.

There are a number of government offices that are involved in the marriage process in Ontario. The Town of Englehart issues marriage licenses, while the Office of the Registrar General (ORG) is responsible for registering marriages and issuing marriage certificates.

Prior to a marriage license being issued in Ontario, couples should be aware that a marriage must be solemnized under the authority of a marriage license or the publication of banns.

Marriage License Application

Couples wishing to be married in Ontario must complete a marriage license application form, signed by both parties to the marriage. The application form must be submitted, with the appropriate identification (see below), in person by one or both of the parties to the Municipal Office.

Provided that the information is complete and correct, the license will be issued, and is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance.

Marriage License Application forms can be obtained by downloading the forms from Service Ontario.

License Fee

The fee for a marriage license at the Town of Englehart is $100.00 payable by cash or debit. 


Bring 2 pieces of valid government issued identification for each person getting married. One piece must include your photo.

Examples of valid government issued identification:

  • Birth certificate
  • Valid passport (must not be expired) 
  • Valid driver's license (must not be expired)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship)
  • Record of immigrant landing


No person under 16 years of age may be married. An applicant who is 16 or 17 years of age is required to have both parents or guardian(s) fill out a form at the Clerk's office at the time of applying for the marriage license giving their written consent.

Divorce within Canada

If either party's previous marriage ended in divorce, the original copy or a certified true copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted to the Issuer of Marriage Licenses. A Divorce Judgement or Decree Nisi is not acceptable. Certified true copies can be obtained from the court, which granted the divorce.

Divorce outside of Canada

If either party's previous marriage ended in divorce outside of Canada, authorization from the Registrar General is required before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit the following:

  • A completed marriage application form, signed by both applicants
  • A certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce or Annulment from the jurisdiction where the divorce was granted sealed by the court. If the divorce is in another language, include a certified translation
  • A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorcee, signed by both applicants (available from City Clerk's Office)
  • A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized by the Province of Ontario.

Send to:

Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8

To be a Taxicab Driver, Taxicab Owner, or Taxicab Broker operating within the Town of Englehart, you must qualify and acquire a valid license.

Completed applications must be submitted in-person by the applicant to the Clerk's Department at the Municipal Office during normal business hours. You must also submit the necessary documentation and prescribed fee with the completed application.

Please also view:

  • Taxi By-Law
  • Application for a Taxi Owner
  • Application for a Taxi Driver