The Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act allows Municipal Clerks and other Officials to take various types of declarations and to administer oaths. There is a fee for Commissioner of Oath services.
Please note a Commissioner of Oaths is not the same as a Notary Public. Englehart does not provide Notary Public services. If your document requires the signature of a Notary Public or you require certified true copies of a document, you will need to contact a private lawyer or a Notary Public.
We cannot guarantee that we can commission documents until we see them. Commissioners reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.
If you have a document or affidavit to be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths, please ensure:
- You have not signed the document – the document must be signed by the individual(s) who will be taking the oath in the presence of the Commissioner. If the document requires two individuals to take the oath, both parties must be present;
- You present an original piece of government issued photo identification, such as a valid driver's licence or passport (copies will not be accepted);
- You have completed the document prior to signing – no information can be added after the Commissioner has signed and stamped the documents; and
- You have read and understand the contents of the document prior to your declaration;
- The document is written in English.
There is a $10.00 fee for Commissioner of Oath services. You can pay by cash, debit, or cheque. Please call the Municipal Office before attending to ensure a Commissioner is available for signatures.